Looking for a way to get warm (and stay indoors) right about now? We’ve got the healthy beef stew recipe to keep you warm and full – and firmly planted on your couch.
Winter is in full effect here in Toronto and the cold doesn’t seem to be easing up any time soon. This is the time of year when our bodies want warming, grounding foods rich in protein, healthy fats, root vegetables and warming spices. We are facing dry, cool air and wet, cold roads which is why we may crave “comfort” type foods that neutralize the effect of our external environment and warm us up from the inside out.
There is nothing I love more than curling up in front of the fire, binge watching Netflix while enjoying a bowl of my homemade hearty beef stew. This is a one pot wonder meal that is sure to satisfy your comfort food craving that the whole family will love!
The Ultimate Bowl of Comfort: Hearty & Healthy Beef Stew
- 1 package of stewing beef
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp gluten free flour
- 3 yellow or sweet potatoes (cubed)
- 4 stalks celery (cut into slices)
- 8 oz brown cremini mushrooms (sliced)
- 2-3 carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 4 garlic cloves (diced)
- 1 yellow onion (roughly chopped)
- Seasoning: 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp dried rosemary, 1 tsp dried tyme
- 1 tsp each sea salt and pepper (or to taste)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs tyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- The night before, add stewing beef chunks to an airtight container with red wine. Store in fridge overnight
- On low heat, add avocado oil to a large pot. Add in onions and garlic, sautéing for a couple minutes until onions become transparent.
- In a medium bowl add gluten free flour, salt, pepper and seasonings. Mix together with a fork until combined. Add in meat and toss until covered in flour and seasoning mixture.
- Add beef to pot with onions and garlic and let brown for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then add in all remaining vegetables to pot and let cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes and beef stock to pot, stirring until vegetables and beef are combined well with tomatoes and stock. Add in bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary sprigs. Turn heat to medium-high and let simmer until stew begins to bubble.
- Turn heat to low and cover with lid, let cook for 3 hours (or more).
- Serve with diced avocado on top and fresh sourdough bread for dipping
- *You can also make this recipe in a crockpot and let cook on low for 4-5 hours
For more recipes like this healthy beef stew that you can make at home (seriously, just stay inside. It’s so cold out there.), head to our recipes section.