Crystals: you’re pretty sure you love them, but not so certain you know much about them. Join us for a series with our friends at Happy Soul Toronto to learn the basics of these complex stones.
Now that you know the basics and the history of crystals from our first installment, it’s time to talk about how to choose your crystals. Happy Soul Toronto has organized the store by chakras, allowing you to find your way to one area and locate all the stones that support your individual needs.
If you’re asking yourself “what the heck is a chakra?” you’re not alone, so let’s start there. We turned to chakras.info for a full explanation. “A chakra is a center of energy. Originating from Sanskrit, it literally means “wheel” by association with its function as a vortex of spinning energy interacting with various physiological and neurological systems in the body. Chakras are energy centers within the human body that help to regulate all its processes, from organ function to to the immune system and emotions… Each chakra has its own vibrational frequency, that is depicted through a specific chakra color, and governs specific functions that help make you, well, human.”
There are seven chakras, each located in a different area of the body. To find out more about each chakra and its corresponding crystals, we headed to Bloor West to talk to Happy Soul Toronto’s crystal expert and healer, Joey Wargachuk.
Located at the base of your spine, the Root Chakra is the ruler of awareness of the physical body. “Root chakra crystals help for grounding, protection, physical body,” explains Wargachuk. “It’s about this plane of existence and this universe. It’s about how your body is, its vitality, its flow, its physical being.”
- Black Tourmaline: the go-to for absorbing negativity and it also absorbs electromagnetic pollution. You can place it beside your microwave, or your wifi router or laptop.
- Red Jasper is for health and vitality
- Garnet is about manifesting your desires into reality
- Hematite absorbs negative energy and is grounding and calming
Located in the pelvic area, the Sacral Chakra is the ruler of ability to relate to the world and nurture healthy relationships. It’s also associated with creativity, flow, and sexuality.
- Carnelian is the number one fertility stone (it’s not just about having babies but it’s good for expecting moms too), but it’s about being able to create things you want
- Orange Calcite is about courage strength and joy
- Sunstone is about growth and connects to root chakra as well
Located in – you guessed it – your solar plexus, this chakra is the ruler of sense of personal power, self-esteem, and reliability.
These stones are about force, energy, and manifestation.
- Pyrite helps in manifesting the things you want and it’s very connected to money. It’s an entrepreneurial stone.
- Moonstone is connected to divine feminine energy
- Citrine is about abundance and feeling like you have more than enough. It absorbs negative energy and transforms it into positive energy for you. It sends your desires into the universe and pairs up with pyrite which helps to manifest that abundance and positivity. It’s highly programmable and sends your intentions out into the universe and pyrite makes it happen.
Located in the heart area, the Heart Chakra is the ruler of the center of unconditional love, caring, respect, and generosity. “On the outside it’s green and about loving others and forgiveness,” Wargachuk explains, “and on the inside it’s a pink and rosy and it’s about self love and self care.
- Rose Quartz: The number one favorite stone people love is rose quartz and Diane gives a free rose quartz to everyone who comes in the door. It’s about self love and self care. It’s a seeker crystal so it sends the intention of love out into the universe for you.
- Green Aventurine is a wealth and prosperity stone because it makes you feel worthy to have good things coming in to your life. It’s a very feminine business stone.
- Other associated crystals include: emerald, malachite, ruby fuschite, and pink tourmaline
The Throat Chakra is located in your throat area and “is about speaking your truth and communication and expression,” explains Wargachuk. “Speaking your truth means telling your story, expressing yourself based on your core values and beliefs. It doesn’t mean speaking the truth, it means speaking what you have to say.”
- Sodalite is about speaking your truth confidently and hearing your message through angels
- Amazonite is a motivational stone that allows you to speak your truth in a way that connects to your heart.
- Blue Lace Agate is the tranquility stone and is about being able to speak your truth and have it heard by the right people, and feeling relaxed and not stressed out by speaking up.
- Other associated crystals include: turquoise, aquamarine, celestite, angelite, and blue kyanite
The Third Eye is located at brow level, in your perineal gland. It allows for clear thought, inner vision, and spiritual guidance.
- Lepidolite “is the element lithium which was mamas little helper in the 50s when it was ground up and made into valium. It relaxes people both chemically and energetically. I have a piece of this in my pillow to help me sleep. It’s the go to anxiety and stress crystal.”
- Amethyst “is the sobriety stone help to remove negative patterns in your minds eye. Expanding your consciousness and your mental capacity.
- Apophylite “is associated with being able to travel and visualize other places, times, astral travel.”
- Other associated crystals include purple fluorite, blue sapphire, and lapis.
The Crown Chakra is located at the top of the head and is “about connecting to source and your higher self.”
White and clear stones
- Selenite is about clearing space and clearing auras
- Clear Quartz “is the master crystal that balances all your chakras and is highly programmable. It hears intentions so be mindful of what kind of intention. Write out the intention or speak it and that helps to lock it in.”
- Other associated crystals include lemurian quartz and herkimer diamonds.
Stay tuned for our next installment where we’ll talk about how to clean and charge your crystals, again with the assistance of Happy Soul Toronto. Find Happy Soul Toronto online here and on Instagram here.