Is there anything you can’t make just a little healthier with cauliflower? We’ve replaced our regular pizza crust with cauli (a practice that has now gone seriously mainstream with Pizza Pizza even adding it to their menu), and it’s a killer way to make grilled cheese a touch healthier. And now thanks to our nutrition expert, Rachel Molenda, we’ve got a way to take fried rice from occasional indulgence to meal prep staple.
With just a few steps and ingredients, this cauliflower fried rice recipe is perfect to make after work during the week or in batches as part of your #MealPrepMonday routine. Check out another one of Rachel’s delicious dinner ideas here as part of our first Meatless Monday round-up.
Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 5 carrots or 2 cups of diced carrots
- 2 cups green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1-2 tbsp avocado oil
- sesame seeds (to garnish)
- 1/3 cup tamari
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 thumb-sized chunk of ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Drizzle avocado oil in a pan and preheat to medium-high heat. Chop cauliflower into medium sized florets and pulse in a food processor for 2-3 seconds at a time.
- You may have to do this in a few batches, depending on the strength and size of your food processor.
- Once pulsed and your cauliflower is rice sized, transfer to pan. Sauté cauliflower rice for 8-10 minutes or until it starts getting a yellow tinge.
- Dice carrots or pulse in food processor and add to pan. Sauté for another 5 minutes. While cooking, mix together the sauce ingredients in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add the green peas and saute for around 3 minutes. Add the sauce and mix thoroughly so all of the rice is covered.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and top with your preferred protein source and enjoy!